Carrot Dill Soup
(from 4/6/09 newsletter)
1lb carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbl vegetable oil
¼ cup chopped fresh dill
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 TBL butter
2 TBL flour
½ cup heavy cream
- In medium pot, saute onion in oil until soft but not colored.
- Add carrot, stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, for about 30 minutes until carrot is soft.
- Strain solids from soup, save broth.
- Puree solids in food processor or blender adding enough of the liquid to make pureeing easier.
- Mix solids and liquids back together in soup pot.
- Return to heat and bring up to boil.
- At the same time, melt butter and stir into flour.
- Remove boiling soup from heat, stir in flour butter mixture and bring back to boil.
- Take off the heat, stir in cream and dill, and check for salt and pepper.